Flu instances straining Rogue Valley well being care system – Medford Information, Climate, Sports activities, Breaking Information
A spike in flu instances is straining the Rogue Valley well being care system, together with Mercy Flights ambulance service. [File photo]
Jackson County has been hit early by flu instances which are circulating extensively and straining the well being care system, together with ambulance providers.
Jackson County Public Well being and the medical transport nonprofit Mercy Flights, which operates floor and air service, issued a warning this week about excessive flu charges.
“Each element of our regional well being system is strained proper now, and that features Mercy Flights’ cellular well being care providers,” Mercy Flights Chief Govt Officer Sheila Clough mentioned in a press launch. “We’re at the moment experiencing larger demand than we’ve seen during the last 12 months and a half, and we anticipate we’re simply on the entrance finish of this wave. This excessive quantity of affected person wants has a regionwide affect, leading to longer response occasions.”
She mentioned public well being, hospital and first responder companions are working collectively to extra effectively switch sufferers to hospitals.
“We’re additionally working carefully with our native hearth company companions to extend capability to reply to 911 calls and transports the place potential,” Clough mentioned.
She mentioned folks can take steps to forestall the unfold of contagious sicknesses just like the flu, which in flip helps emergency medical providers.
After years of coping with the COVID-19 virus, many individuals are weary of precautions.
“I need to acknowledge the feelings that folks could also be feeling throughout this flu season,” Dr. Leona O’Keefe, well being officer for Jackson County Public Well being, mentioned within the press launch. “It’s comprehensible for folks to be bored with listening to about viruses. Others might really feel indignant or scared. However the viruses are right here, and our particular person selections can add as much as a collective distinction for all of us. Thanks for what you select to do to assist your self, your family members and your neighbors.”
Influenza A(H3N2) is the dominant flu pressure circulating this season. That pressure is related to extra extreme instances of the flu in youngsters and senior residents, based on the federal Facilities for Illness Management and Prevention.
Flu exercise in Oregon and throughout the nation has elevated quickly and sooner than in earlier years, public well being officers mentioned.
Whereas seasonal flu viruses are detected year-round in america, instances have a tendency to extend in October, peak between December and February and proceed as late as Might, public well being officers mentioned.
Flu is a contagious respiratory sickness brought on by influenza viruses. It could actually trigger delicate to extreme sickness and typically result in loss of life. Flu is totally different from the frequent chilly or “abdomen flu.”
The flu normally comes on all of the sudden. Signs might embody fever, feeling feverish or chilly, cough, sore throat, runny or stuffy nostril, muscle or physique aches, headache and fatigue. Some folks, particularly youngsters, might have vomiting and diarrhea.
Folks at larger danger of extreme sickness from influenza embody folks age 65 years or older, youngsters underneath the age of 5, those that are pregnant and folks with continual medical circumstances or weak immune methods.
To assist stop the unfold of the flu, public well being officers advise:
- Get vaccinated. Everybody age 6 months and older ought to get a flu shot each season with uncommon exceptions, particularly these liable to extreme issues from the flu. Flu pictures can be found via medical suppliers, pharmacies or Jackson County Public Well being. To discover a flu vaccine clinic close to you, see vaccines.gov/find-vaccines or name 211.
- Put on a masks indoors in public locations throughout flu season.
- Keep dwelling and restrict contact with others in the event you’re sick, together with staying dwelling from work or college. The CDC recommends folks keep dwelling for at the least 24 hours after their fever is gone except they’re accessing medical care.
- Cowl your nostril and mouth with a tissue whenever you cough or sneeze.
- Wash your arms with cleaning soap and water. Use an alcohol-based hand rub if cleaning soap and water aren’t obtainable.
- Keep away from touching your eyes, nostril and mouth.
- Clear and disinfect surfaces and objects which will have flu germs on them.
- Get examined for respiratory infections and take flu antiviral medication in case your physician prescribes them. Antiviral medication may help stop critical sickness and hospitalization. The sooner remedy is began, the more practical it’s.
Folks ought to look ahead to warning indicators of great sickness from the flu and search medical assist immediately if signs emerge.
Warning indicators in youngsters embody quick respiratory or hassle respiratory, bluish lips or face, ribs pulling in with every breath, chest ache, extreme muscle ache, indicators of dehydration like not urinating or not producing tears whereas crying, not being alert or interacting when awake, seizures, fever above 104 levels in youngsters or any fever of 100.4 levels or larger amongst infants lower than 3 months outdated and a fever or cough that enhance however then return or worsen, in addition to worsening of continual medical circumstances.
Warning indicators in adults embody problem respiratory or shortness of respiratory, persistent ache or strain within the chest or stomach, persistent dizziness or confusion, lack of ability to awaken, seizures, not urinating, extreme weak spot or unsteadiness and a fever or cough that enhance however then return or worsen, in addition to worsening of continual medical circumstances.
Attain Mail Tribune reporter Vickie Aldous at 541-776-4486 or email@example.com. Comply with her on Twitter @VickieAldous.